In Kythera as in most of the Greek islands there are many windmills. The windmills in Kythera were built in the 19th century and were used exclusively for agricultural production. The virtually constant presence of wind encouraged their use. These windmills can still be seen at the outskirts of villages, easily accessible and located next to fields in pairs or as single mills. They are made of stone and are 5 to 6 m wide and between 4.5 and 5.5 m high; the portal has a sandstone framing (porus). In Kythera the purpose of the windmills was to mill wheat grains. With the advent of electricity and the decline of agricultural production during the first half of the 20th century windmills were less often used, and the last one stopped operating in 1955.
Οι ρυθμίσεις των cookies σε αυτή την ιστοσελίδα έχουν οριστεί σε "αποδοχή cookies" για να σας δώσουμε την καλύτερη δυνατή εμπειρία περιήγησης. Εάν συνεχίσετε να χρησιμοποιείτε αυτή την ιστοσελίδα χωρίς να αλλάξετε τις ρυθμίσεις των cookies σας ή κάνετε κλικ στο κουμπί "Κλείσιμο" παρακάτω τότε συναινείτε σε αυτό.