On a mountain resembling a ship, above Livadi, is a monastary called Agia Elessa. It owes its name to a woman who became a martyr on the spot where it was built. She was the daughter of Helladios, a rich Peloponnese lord. Thrown out of the house by her father for converting to Christianity she took refuge in Kythera. But Helladios found her and killed her on this mountain in 375 A.D. The current monastery was built in 1871 on the spot where she was killed, on the ruins of another church. It has a small basilica and includes some twenty cells. Agia Elessa is celebrated every year on the 1st of August, when Kythera started the custom known as the “fortnight” (see section on Panagia Myrtidiotissa). The position of the monastery provides a magnificent view on the largest part of the island, and particularly the southwest coast.